Having black hair means that finding a dry shampoo that doesn't leave a visible mark is next to impossible. Yes, there are transparent dry shampoos and "dark hair" dry shampoos, but in my experience they don't work as well as the original white powder formula.
Here's the list of the ones I've tried and why I didn't like them:
- Bumble & Bumble Black Hair Powder: It works ok, but the build up feels very heavy even if you don't have that much and the black powder is very evident. It can fall-out on clothes and it can also get on your face if you're not careful. Plus it's $$$.
- Tres Semme Dry Shampoo: CRAP. I HATE IT. IT DOESN'T WORK. I'm sure all those people on YouTube that use it may actually have it work for them, but I've tried 2 different bottles and it just doesn't work at all. Plus the nozzle breaks super easily. You get what you pay for with this one.
- Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo (non-aerosol version): Worked amazingly, smelled very nice, just expensive as well! It also left a dry cast in my hair. It sucked up the most oil though.
- Oscar Blandi Pronto Invisible Dry Shampoo: Didn't work as well, smelled nice also expensive. Meh.
- PSSST Dry Shampoo: Least expensive, worked decently, smelled heavily of baby powder. Probably my favorite of the bunch (and the one that I tried first).
First, it was $6. Really, not really a risk at all. If I didn't like it, it wasn't $20 and something totally regret worthy, and I hadn't heard anything about it so I wasn't expecting the world of it (like Tres Semme's). To be completely honest, I was deciding between two different products, and I saw that the Dove was cheaper, so I bought it.
It smells very much like most Dove hair products, soapy and clean. There's a slight hint of baby powderyness to it but it's nothing terrible.
I love that it cames in a spray bottle. I know the Oscar Blandi comes in a spray version but it's more expensive. The spray bottle on this seems firm and very sturdy and as if it won't break like the Oscar Blandi Invisible dry shampoo.
Now for the actual product. You're going to have to shake it quite a bit especially the first time you use it to get the white powder to come out. Do a little test spurt as well to just get the clear wet part out and to get the product going. I did spray a little at the store actually to see if it sprayed clear, and I got a little bit of the clear wet part (which is obviously used as a way to just get the powder sprayed out, and doesn't actually absorb oil) so I thought that the product was clear, which was actually one of the main reasons I bought it (it doesn't say anything about if it's a transparent product or not on the bottle).
This morning when I used it, I was a little disappointed that a white powder came out because I thought I was again stuck with another white tint in my hair and was completely ready to take a shower and call it a day. I then rubbed it in and... it disappeared! I even went outside with a mirror to see if it had truly gone away and it did! I then immediately filmed a video lol.
As I sat and let it sink in a little bit more, it completely absorbed the oil and my hair didn't feel heavy with product at all. That was another problem I had had in the past with dry shampoo. My hair felt loaded with product, and I wanted to get it feeling cleaner, not a different type of dirty (oily vs heavy).
It does add a little volume, which isn't something I actually look for in a dry shampoo. It's the last of the things I want. I want my hair oil free, and not product heavy. Volume? sure why not.
I put this in just before I went to work (at the indoor pool, where I test products because of the humidity) and after 5 hours, my hair still didn't feel gross at all which was another good sign.
I am going to use this again tomorrow, to see how it does on third day hair and will post promptly afterwards (since tomorrow is a school day, I'll be doing more active movement and I'll see how it fares outside in the natural heat vs humid heat).
For now though, I'm in love with this dry shampoo. It's fantastic. It's so much better than all the others AND I was blown away. LOVE!
It's available at CVS for about $6 (between $5 and $6 but basically $6 after tax). You can get it online though and it retails for between $4 and $6 depending on where you get it. I think I saw a listing for Walgreens and Walmart as well so check there!